Saturday, October 9, 2010

"It's Not a Rejection, It's a Realization" Pt. 2---Judgement and Perceptions

This is a tricky topic, so I’d like to start out with a little disclaimer: I am not one of those people who make scathing statements about how all Christians are nothing but judgmental hypocrites. I don’t believe that at all! I do think that Christianity is a world view that lends itself to judgmentalism fairly easily, however there are plenty of Christians who manage to overcome this. In this post I am referring to the ones who, unfortunately, do not.

In part 1 of this blog post I mentioned the tendency of the extreme fundamentalist sort of Christians to assume some pretty ridiculous things about those who do not share their faith. But few people ever really stop and think about how arrogant and offensive these notions actually are. The basic assumptions can be summed up as follows: “There is no way any intelligent person can come to a different conclusion I have come to. Therefore, any intelligent person who believes something other than me must be morally inferior.”

The obnoxious, cocky, Dawkins/Hitchens/Hawking brand of atheists do much the same thing towards Christians. Their version is: “There is no way any intelligent person can come to a different conclusion I have come to. Therefore, any intelligent person who believes something other than me must be emotionally inferior.”

Both of these statements are obviously ridiculous and judgmental, yet a surprising number of people subscribe to these sentiments. Many, however, do so obliquely: When presented with a blunt statement like the ones above, most people are able to see how absurd they sound. Yet they still cling to these assumptions in a subtle, intrinsic way.

No one has ever blurted out something like “I wonder what sort of moral defects are preventing you from believing in the Bible!” but they’ve come pretty close. I find it ironic how people who don’t yet know I am no longer a Christian just go on assuming that I am. They find no change in me. They find no moral lapses. Yet some (not all, thankfully!) who do know about my beliefs tend to view me through a poisoned lense. They actively search for evidence that I “need God in my life.” I often feel like these people are prowling around me, just waiting for me to slip up somehow so they can shout: “Ha! I knew it! See how depraved you have become without Christ?!” In addition, they are scouring through my records and picking out every time I annoyed or hurt them, and every ugly rumor they’ve heard about me so they can file it all away in the “Proof that she was never a True Christian™ anyway” folder.

But if they could really look at my life objectively, they would find that I haven’t changed. I’m no less moral, happy, or satisfied with my life than when I was as a Christian. Christianity does not have a monopoly on these qualities. (Neither does atheism, Buddhism, or any other philosophy or religion for that matter)

“Moral downfalls” are not what prevents me from being a Christian, just like “emotional weaknesses” are not what prevents Christians from becoming atheists. It is simply a matter of what and how we are able to believe. Unless you can come to grips with the fact that some people are “unbelievers” for intellectual reasons alone, then don’t try to tell me you don’t judge. Because, frankly, you do.

-Monica

13 comments:

  1. You seem a little resentful of these offenses at the hands of Christians. I really think you would do better to try your best to not give so much thought to them, and to forgive them! If you do this, you will undoubtedly be more Christian than they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not going to deny that fact that I have been hurt and offended by people with these misconceptions (who wouldn't be?). I have forgiven them nevertheless, but that doesn't mean I should completely ignore these issues---many Christians are not even aware that they are judging others, so it is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. It's easy to forget that God is the one who judges, and that it comes after death. And you're free to interpret that how you like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and there's a difference between judging actions and judging people. We have to judge actions in our everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And don't forget judging people BY their actions... and, worst of all, judging people by their beliefs. Beliefs have little to do with character and everything to do with reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes and no. But at any rate, I think Christians (and non-Christians alike) forget that judgement of the soul is God's business alone. Christianity is about looking up to God and helping others look up to Him, not about looking down on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that description of Christianity---that's what it should be about...unfortunately a lot of people mess it up. : /

    ReplyDelete
  8. No kidding. To be quite frank: When you believe that you can give yourself salvation, why should you not believe that you can decide who else gets "saved" or not "saved"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, it's easier and more comforting to know that you're going to be saved. It is much harder to not know for sure, take the necessary steps, and then trust in God's mercy. Trust takes humility. Playing God shows pride. The first temptation was all about "being like God", so is it any coincidence that we all believe we're gods now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, as I recently heard it put: "Judgement is up to the manager. God is in management, we're in sales."

    ReplyDelete